Sisterhood Book Club
Monday, July 16, 2018 | 7:30 p.m.
At Paula’s House (Contact the office for more information)
We will be reading National Jewish Book Award winner “And After the Fire” by Lauren Belfer.
The pleasure of reading doesn’t have to end with the last page. Be part of Sisterhood Book Club and prolong the experience with spirited and wide-ranging discussion that often touches on contemporary issues.
We meet every couple of months in members’ homes to exchange impressions of books we choose as a group.
Congregation Beth Shalom’s Solar Initiative
Saturday, July 28, 2018 | 12:45 p.m.
Sunday, July 29, 2018 | 10:00 a.m.
Congregation Beth Shalom | Helfant Chapel & Zweig Library
Join the kick-off weekend for Beth Shalom’s Solar Initiative! Learn how our Congregation can help the environment and reduce expenses by adopting modern energy efficient practices –and how you can do the same in your own home. Also learn about clean solar energy’s role in powering Pittsburgh’s Climate Action Plan 3.0, and how co-ops can help homeowners install solar power at below market rates. Finally, hear about Beth Shalom’s plans to install a solar roof. With your help, our Congregation can become the first religious organization in the region to go solar and cut its greenhouse emissions.
Beth Shalom’s Solar Future
Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 12:45 p.m.
• Dan Gilman, Chief of Staff to Mayor William Peduto, will welcome attendees and briefly discuss the City of Pittsburgh’s environmental goals.
• Mike Roth of Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA will present the City of Pittsburgh’s disaster preparedness and energy efficiency initiatives, and Climate Action Plan 3.0. Mike will also present the opportunities that solar power and energy efficiency can offer Beth Shalom.
Solar Power, Energy Efficiency, and the Pittsburgh Community
Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 12:45 p.m.
• Erika Strassburger, Pittsburgh’s 8th District Councilwoman, will welcome attendees and discuss the importance of renewable energy to the City of Pittsburgh.
• Mike Roth of Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA will then describe how the City of Pittsburgh’s climate change, disaster preparedness, and energy efficiency initiatives will play an important part of the City’s future. Attendees will also learn about local energy efficiency strategies to save money and improve their indoor health.
• Henry McKay, Pennsylvania Program Director, Solar United Neighbors, will discuss how homeowners can simplify and lower the cost of going solar through bulk purchasing solar co-ops. The Allegheny County Solar Co-op, formed with the assistance of Solar United Neighbors of Pennsylvania, is open to all residents and businesses of Allegheny County. Join us to learn more about this exciting new initiative!
This Weekend is Free!
RSVP to email@example.com
Lifetime Achievement Award
Sunday, August 19, 2018 | 9:00 a.m.
Congregation Beth Shalom | Samuel & Minnie Hyman Ballroom
Hod veHadar & Dinner
Friday, August 24, 2018 | 6:00 p.m.
Congregation Beth Shalom | Locations TBD
Coffee with the Cantor – Perceptions of Modern Judaism
Every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m.
Congregation Beth Shalom | Lehman Center
Come and participate in “Coffee with the Cantor” – a stimulating discussion group led by our Executive Director, Hazzan (Cantor) Rob Menes.
This year we will be discussing “Perceptions of Modern Judaism.” How do Jewish customs and rituals interact with the Christian and secular world of North America? How is Israel perceived in America? Why is there still anti-Semitism in North America?
Throughout the year we will investigate sometimes controversial practices and discuss both the Jewish and non-Jewish reactions to them. Coffee will be provided by the Cantor!
Every Wednesday, 11 AM till 12 in the Lehman Center. Signup not required.
Coffee with the Cantor is on summer hiatus until Wednesday, August 15, 2018. We hope to see you there for an exciting new program!
Journey of the Spirit: Congregation Beth Shalom’s Israel Experience for Adults
Last Day to Register is June 27, 2018
October 28 – November 8, 2018
$3,939 LAND ONLY
- 10 Nights’ accommodation at select hotels
- 8 days of touring in a luxury, air-conditioned bus with licensed, English speaking tour educators + walking tours on Shabbat
- 1 group transfer and assistance from and to the airport
- All site entrance fees and program fees as per itinerary
- Meals: daily breakfast, 1 lunch and 5 dinners
- Portage at the airport and hotels
Bring your whole self on an intellectual, spiritual, and physical journey to Israel.
Additional information at daattravel.com/Beth-Shalom-2018 or contact Da’at at 888-811-2812, Rabbi Adelson at 412-421-2288 x115, or Joe Jolson at 412-480-3049.