The Derekh Tzedek Hesed Committee (DTHC) is a group of Beth Shalom members that meet regularly on regularly sustained projects meant to aid, uplift, and transform the lives of others. We come together for two kinds of actions:
- Tzedek - justice. Taking action through advocacy. Raising our voices to create change. Dismantling systems of inequality and harm, and replacing them with something better and more equitable.
- Hesed - lovingkindness. Aiding others in need through volunteer activities.
The DTHC has a variety of ongoing projects, listed below.
- Medical Lending Library (AKA the Medical GemaCh) - The medical lending library is place for Beth Shalom members and Squirrel Hill residents to donate a wheelchair, walker, crutches, or a knee scooter to Beth Shalom. DTHC members will deliver a mobility device such as this to any person in need for short term or long term use. For more information, click here.
- Monthly Tzedek Project - Each month DTHC members gather to participate in an action project. Our monthly project will be posted in the synagogue bulletin, the weekly email, and on the website.
- Ongoing regular volunteer opportunities - There are currently three regular volunteer opportunities for Beth Shalom members to get involved in through the DTHC. You can
- volunteer to do a delivery of a medical device. Contact email@example.com to get on the list of delivery drivers.
- volunteer to deliver groceries for the Squirrel Hill Food Pantry. Call 412.904.5978 to schedule a time.
- join our hospital and nursing home visiting brigade to visit folks in local hospitals and senior homes, and bring them a bit of cheer.
To learn more or to join our band of do-gooders, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.