Beth Shalom was founded in 1917 by a group of 35 families. Over the past near century, the Congregation has grown in the size of its membership and its physical structure. Some important milestones in our Synagogue’s history include:
- Sisterhood Auxiliary founded in 1917
- Hebrew School founded in 1919
- Ground broke on first building (in current location at Shady Ave. and Beacon St.) in 1922
- Men’s Club organized in 1925
- Cemetery grounds were purchased and consecrated in 1925
- Building expansion in 1930
- Community Passover Seder held in 1932
- Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah clubs began in 1942 and 1950, respectively
- Second expansion in 1970
- Rebuilding campaign, following the fire of 1996, led to current 88,000 square foot facility
- Preschool expanded to an Early Childhood Development Center
- Beth Shalom University (adult and family education programs) annually
The “original 35” families who formed the spiritual nucleus of Congregation Beth Shalom almost 95 years ago would be surprised and proud of the congregation that we have become. Today it is not the bricks and mortar that make our beloved synagogue special, but the “ruach” of close to 650 family units that spiritually invigorate our community.
Our synagogue has become a gathering place for all ages. Our sense of responsibility is guided by the religious commandments of Tzedakah and extends to social action programs and social services including support of Israel, single adults, senior citizens, and special needs adults. We provide a home for our children, from infants to college students. We serve our members with a full life cycle of services – sharing all our joys and sorrows with our congregational family.
If you would be interested in becoming a part of our community, please Contact us. Our membership committee members are eager to meet you and to introduce you to our community.